Puffy Foods

Adventures in food with Mistress Puffy

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Shanghai July 12

Well I've missed a few days, but we've been eating in the hotel - getting Mr. Grumpypants back into Shanghai shape. The dumpling soup through room service is delicious so it has become the easy thang to eat.

I did sneak out and had a beer and a whacky little tofu dish yesterday. The soft tofu was smothered in wasabe, then breaded (including some coconut) and deep fried. It was served sliced open into six little dangerous morsels on the plate. I have to admit that I was scraping some of that wasabe outta the last couple of bites - whoa - my eyes were watering!!!

We went to find the Doland Museum of Modern Art today - found it, but it was closed and between shows, I guess we'll make it back another day. The treasure in that neighbourhood was the Korean restaurant. We had Bulgogi and veggies - kinda stir fried beef with veg served on a cast iron dish with a mushroom beefy light gravy, a rice cake with spicy Korean sauce - the cakes were kinda like gnocci and the sauce was tomato based and perfectly spicy with a few fresh chilies, and we also had a tempura like basket of veggies, though they were more like Belgian frittes in their skinny little way - ymmm. The meal came with an assortment of little dishes to start - roasted zuchini with hot sauce, steamed crunchy seaweed, daikon with hot sauce, kimchi like cabbage, lightly steamed carrots and celery with red peppers.

We drank big bottles of Kirin which did us in...whoa the heat - have I mentioned that it's like a big wet sauna here - oh yeah- I probably have. It takes about twenty minutes to stop sweating once you get into an air conditioned room. Shaving my head may be more comfortable!

Lotus must be in season because the street folk carrying baskets around have loaded baskets of them - they look amazing.

Yo - for some reason - perhaps censors - I cannot actually see my blog and thus cannot see any comments - If you want to send info, send me email.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home